Re: XFree86, ATI Rage Mobility

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Hugo van der Merwe <hugo@mailroom.com> wrote:

> I have a laptop with an ATI Rage Mobility display card.

I have a Gateway 9300 with 'ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage P/M Mobility
AGP 2x (rev 64)' video card, and I do not observe the issues you
mention. I run X in 16-bit 1024x768 happily.

> I have come to accept that I cannot use the XF86_Mach64 server (I now
> use XF86_SVGA), and I can only use SVGALib in sort of standard vga
> mode (chipset ATI - pretty much a vga driver), due to "vertical
> banding" when trying to use the MACH64 drivers... (does anyone know of
> improved support in the future, or maybe in XFree 4.0?)

Which version of XFree86 do you have installed?

[...]

> (--) SVGA: There is no mode definition named "512x384"
> (--) SVGA: Removing mode "512x384" from list of valid modes.

These are caused by the XF86config file referring to modes that are not
defined or cannot be used with the current chipset. No need to worry
about them.

> I don't have a clue why. Should I attach my XF86Config file?

That might help, at least if you send it to me. Then I could tell you if
there are any *major* differences between your configuration and mine...

        Daniel

--
Consciousness expansion went out with LBJ ...
And it is worth noting, historically, that downers came in with Nixon.