Re: wanting to help Debian

>What's the best place to get started in actually conributing to debian?  I
>subscribed to debian-users but couldn't take the bulk of email.  Where does
>the project need help?

As you have asked on Debian laptop I presume that laptops are an area of
interest for you.

I think that the apmd package could probably be improved.  On a few occasions
I've had problems related to it and I doubt that all issues are resolved
fully now.  It works OK, but could probably do with some serious checking
(check the source code and check for conflicts with the operation of other
packages).
There are many things that APM could use, such as examples of how to do
things like blank the screen on suspend, stop power-hungry daemons (like
prime-net and gimps) when the mains power is unplugged, etc.

Another thing that is necessary is frame-buffer drivers for laptop video.
FB support for NeoMagic would really help a lot of people.  Also we need
accellerated frame-buffer support, but that's probably way to much work.

Another issue is laptop security.  I have been planning to secure my laptop
properly for some time.  I want to have an LDAP server running from /home
which has all the account data for accounts other than root (nss-ldap).  Then
I'll have /home encrypted so that it will be impossible to get passwords or
data from a stolen laptop.  Then I plan to have a root account entry in LDAP
as well as /etc/passwd.  So the root entry in /etc/passwd is only for fixing
problems that prevent successful booting (which will be different for each
machine).  The root password used when the machine is live will be in LDAP
and encrypted properly.

--
My current location - X marks the spot.