Toshiba 1555CDS & X

I have a Toshiba 1555CDS laptop. Briefly: 380MHz K6-2, 32MB, S3-Virge MX (2MB). I have X up and running in 800x600 16bpp. However, any moderate CPU activity causes severe ghosting/streaking/whatever you want to call it. Originally, scrolling and such caused this, I alleviated this somewhat thru the "noaccel" option, but once I got some programs running, everything is bad again. I've fooled around with the color depth, the LCD clock, the PCI options, no luck. Any thoughts? I'm about ready to make my laptop console-only here.

--
Robert A. French, 2LT, USAF
rfrench99@bigfoot.com

Disclaimer
This document does not necessarily reflect the standards, opinions, and/or policies of the Air Force or the U.S. government.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, then to rank with those poor spirits who neither suffer much nor enjoy much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt