Re: Fast shutdown without filesystemcheck on next boot?

> One of the things that I have found out (at least on desktop systems) is
> that it can slide. I have a MSDOS partition that routinely is "busy" when
> the system is powering down and what the debian script claims it's doing
> during the shutdown is that it will umount the drive and then remount it
> read only. Also you can edit the content of /etc/fstab or it's related
> files and make sure that you specifically not check the partition in
> question. So I think it can be done.

Yeah, and it's also possible to tell shutdown to use -f (don't fsck on
reboot) but if he REALLY cares about speed...

	...then he needs to not reboot!

It's different if you're changing the kernel out, which really needs a reboot
(well, at least until they have the "kernel can load a new kernel" feature
solid) but in that case, let it do it right.

-* Heather Stern * star@starshine.org *-