Re: buying a new laptop

To: Shao Zhang <shao@linuxfreak.com>, debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
From: Kirby Krueger <kirbyk@best.com>
Subject: Re: buying a new laptop
Cc: "Patel, Cyrus" <s2192888@cse.unsw.edu.au>

Instead of dualbooting win9x why don't you bundle vmware with
the laptop.

http://www.vmware.com

with regard to thinkpads...
I have a tp 755cx (5 years old) it runs debian(slink) fine.
specs: (p75/24M/850M)

You can buy an older tp for a good price on ebay. They are fine
machines with _the best_ keyboard in the industry. a tp 380
(p166/32M/1.2G) for under US$1,000. They have a cd and 800x600 screen.

I have a number of friends that use dell laptops with debian.
you can find refurbished dell's at...
http://www.dell.com/html/us/outlet/notebooks.htm

-- Andy

At 07:27 PM 3/24/00 , Shao Zhang wrote:
>Hi,
>         I am in a process of buying a new laptop. I cannot really afford
>         any expensive ones (above AUS$3000), yet a powerfull one. I know
>         my requirements are contradicting to each other.
>
>         A thinkpad will be ideal for me, but they are just so expensive.
>         I happen to find out this site
>                 http://www.iedirect.com/default.asp
>
>         Their laptop is so much cheaper compare to others, but I am a
>         bit worried if it will run on Linux.
>
>         Has anyone else bought any laptops from this site? Could someone
>         recommend what/where to buy new laptops for linux?

I don't want to aggressively plug here, since I work for this company, but
take a look at:
http://www.tuxtops.com

We're currently only shipping Red Hat 6.1, but debian is in the short term
plan.  (I'd guess sometime in April.)  We should be adding dual-boot
Windows as an option very soon, probably next week.  There's not a lot of
options for pre-installed linux on laptops other than on the very high end
from most places, so we might have an option you like.

-- Kirby