Re: thinkpad , debian doesn t start

russell> My experience has been that 2.0.x kernels don't work well
russell> with Thinkpads, and often don't work at all.  I recommend
russell> using the latest available kernel.

just another data point:

  my experience has been that out-of-the-box 2.0.x kernel-based debian
  stuff doesn't work w/ certain thinkpads, but w/ tweaking (often a lot
  more than i'd like), i haven't met a thinkpad i couldn't get to work.

  at this point though, i would also recommend using a more recent
  kernel (2.2.x or later).

  for 2.0.x-based kernels, if you search the archives of this list, i
  think you may be able to find mention of custom installation disks
  (rescue and driver).  caveat: all of the ones i've seen are
  available via "non-official" locations/sources.