Frozen distribution

Hi. I use debian on both my desktop and laptop. Laptop is actually corel, but aside from the front end, the distribution looks like straight debian. I am pretty motivated to upgrade that distribution to the latest debian, but my desktop is having problems that I can't resolve yet.

With the frozen distribution, netscape communicator 4.7 dies with a bus error. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Also, has anyone upgraded from Corel Linux to debian potato? I am afraid that I might mess everything up once I clear the current packages list.

On upgrading the kernel on my laptop, I usually do 'make-kpkg' kernel installations. If I upgrade to 2.2.14, would installing the standard debian pcmcia package for that kernel version work, or should I compile from source? The source is easy enough, But I want debian to keep track of those things...