must xinit be available ?

thank you all !  Now I have my Debian X back, which doesn't work as well.

after XF86Setup, and chose the right graphic chipset. I got a congratulation
screen saying I have got a running X-server. But when I startx, I receive the
following msg:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
.
. (six of them...)
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Server error

I did a "find . -name xinit -print". there is really no xinit file. only
directories. does this matter? it apparently did try to start the X server.

Sorry for overwhelming this list with such trivial questions! I am just new to
Linux.

regards
Ben