Re: Help! How not to start X ?

Are you able to press ctrl-alt-F2 to get to another virtual console?  If
so, once there login and edit /etc/inittab.  If you don't know about
this file read man pages on init, inittab and perhaps telinit.

If you can't get to a virtual terminal, then as your system boots at the
lilo prompt type "linux single".  This will boot linux into single user
mode and you can edit /etc/inittab as needed.  There is probably a line
like this

id:5:initdefault:

which you will want to change to

id:3:initdefault: