Re: Mounting PCMCIA Compact Flash Card

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, <emeulen@altavista.net> wrote:

> I would like to be able to read/write my CF Card which stores photo's
> from a digital camera. I have a CF -> PCMCIA adapter, and my card is
> dentified by the system. The output of the 'cardctl ident' command is:

I have a CompactFlash card working myself, so that I can easily share
files (and backups) between my laptop and my TPGpro Palm Pilot.

[...]

>   Socket 1:
>     product info: "SiliconTech,Inc.", "32MB Compact PC
> Card", "Ver 3.0"
>     manfid: 0x014d, 0x0001
>     function: 4 (fixed disk)

The `function' field here is quite important -- it tells you that PCMCIA
sees the card as a `fixed disk' device (hard disk), not a `memory'
device.

> So Socket 1 contains the card. Now the PCMCIA FAQ suggests something
> like:

[...]

>   Could not stat /dev/ftl0c0 --- No such file or directory
>
> I have also discovered a script ftl in /etc/pcmcia, but I cannot seem
> to do anything useful with that.

Yup. This is a feature(tm) of CompactFlash cards. They actually have a
little chip in them that pretends it's really a hard disk drive, rather
than a block of memory.

What you need to do is ensure that you have the `ide_cs' module
available in the `pcmcia' directory. That is the module needed to access
the card.

When you plug the card in, you can then mount it, fdisk it, etc, just
like a hard disk. `/var/log/kern.log' or a similar file will spit out
the logging indicating which drive it is -- but, assuming you didn't add
any extra drive controllers, the CF card lands as `hde'.

If you read the section in the PCMCIA HOWTO about IDE devices, that
should cover the setup and stuff.

Let me know if you need more help and I will try and write a simple
cookbook to make it work.

        Daniel

--
You want to be famous and rich and happy, but you're terrified you have
nothing to offer this world. Nothing to say and no way to say it, but you can