Maestro and slowed sound when on battery power

I have a Portege 7140 with a Maestro chip in it. With the default 2.2.14 kernel I get the following on an insmod:

maestro: version 0.13 time 01:21:18 Feb 26 2000
maestro: Configuring ESS Maestro 2E found at IO 0xFC00 IRQ 11
maestro:  subvendor id: 0x00011179
maestro: AC97 Codec detected: v: 0x83847609 caps: 0x6940 pwr: 0xf
maestro: 1 channels configured.

and an lspci reveals the following:
00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro Audiodrive (rev 10)

There is no /dev/audio interface only /dev/dsp so applications like saytime and cat linus.au > /dev/audio don't work.
There also appears to be a difference is playback speeds when playing MP3's whether or not I'm connected to external power.
It appears that when I am on power the 500Mghz CPU runs at full speed and all is fine. But on battery power the playback is slower and the sound is distorted. I'm going to eventutally have to get that fixed but I'm working on getting X running first.
-- chris