Re: How to re-install from PCMCIA-SCSI-CDROM?

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, John Miskinis wrote:

> I wish to re-install slink on a partition, and my Thinkpad 560
> has no builtin CDROM drive.  I am very close to getting a small
> floppy linux system working that can talk to my SCSI CDROM.
>
> What is the best way to go about a (re)install?  My initial
> install(s) required me to copy the whole CD to a vfat partition
> under Win95, and fix up symlinks, etc., and I do not wish to do
> this all over again.

A slightly different approach to copying the whole CD to a *fat* partition
is to copy it to a *ext2* partition.  This can easily be done under linux
(if your old slink installation is still running) otherwise you have to
spend a little more time copying the stuff to a linux partition under
windows.

If you have no linux partitions left then make one with a utility such as
partition magic and format it, making sure it will be able to contain the
entire CD (if I remember about 450-500Mb is plenty).  Obtain the very
useful utility explore2fs off the internet (I have lost the link but it is
given in a previous posting I made to this mailing list some months
ago) which will allow you to read and write to your linux partition as if
it was a fat partition.  This permits the filenames to be retained.  Use
the various boot disks to get to the linux installation screen.  Do *not*
mount your partition as you will find the partition is not used to install
from but proceed with an install using a unmounted partition.  Some of the
instructions may be a little wrong as I have not done this procedure for
some time, however the important details are there.  Now you should be
able to continue with no problems on your own.

Alex

--
**       ((__))   Alexander "Jim diGriz" Clouter