Synaptics Touch Pad

Howdy folks,
I am having problems getting rid of the jumpiness of my mouse pointer
(Synaptics touchpad), and tried the msfix floating around as well as
that touchpad driver using tpconfig.
but i'm not really havin much luck. it doesn't seem to be working.
i'm a newbie to linux if its not obvious already so I don't even know if
I should be emailing to this list (or will I be flamed for it?)
and don't know how to compile a kernel so i have avoided modifyin the
source code like a few places have mentioned doing to stop the mouse
prob.

can anyone provide any additional information or insight for me on how
to fix the problem?

Compaq Presario 1600S
Debian frozen
Release 2.2.14   <--- I know some kernels have different ways to fix
jumpy pointers?
KDE 1.1.2

Also, another thing, I have actually been able to use the linux driver
at linmodems.org for my Lucent LT Winmodem and have had pretty good
success.  Often downloads at speeds better than windows was doing oddly
enough. But haven't been able to use KPPP to sign online. Instead, I've
had to keep using root to run 'pon' and let it sign onto ppp that way.
Anybody have any tips there?

Patrick