Re: Lilo on dell 7500

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 11:36:12AM -0800, Christian DeKonink wrote:
> Hi I just installed debian on my dell inspiron 7500
> It is coexisting with NT.
>
> I can boot from the floppy just fine, but when i try to boot from the
> hard disk it get to start lilo but hangs at this point
>
> LI
>

> Any suggestions clues flames?

from /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz :

  (<nothing>)  No part of LILO has been loaded. LILO either isn't installed
    or the partition on which its boot sector is located isn't active.
   L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started,
    but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error
    codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error
    codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry
    mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").
   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.
   LIL   The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't load
    the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a
    media failure or by a geometry mismatch.
   LIL?   The second stage boot loader has been loaded at an incorrect
    address. This is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or by
    moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.
   LILO   All parts of LILO have been successfully loaded.

I would suggest rerunning lilo.
I have seen it recently on one desktop system, though I blame too old BIOS
with too large disk in my case.

regards
Marcin
--