package compilation madness

Running on the theory that it might help speed up my Pentium II system
(debatable, but that's beside the point), I've tried
recompiling a selection of packages with pentium optimisation, downloading
the debian source and running `./debian/rules binary`.

However, after having done this, every time I `apt-get upgrade`, these
packages get downloaded from the debian ftp server, and
my PII optimised packages get put back to the standard i386 version.
In both cases it's the same version (0.9.5d-2 for bzip2, 1.2.4-33 for gzip),
they were never actually upgraded in the meantime.

An irritating problem.  Would anyone happen to know why compiled packages
are getting "upgraded" and replaced in this way?

Drew Parsons