Re: Debian/X on Toshiba

> Bradley M Alexander wrote:
> >
> > 1. The mouse has a tendency to "schitz out." I can move the mouse around
> > the screen, and about one time in three, it will jump to the upper right
> > corner, where it will continuously drop menus until I let go and let it go
> > and start moving it again. Any windows across whose titlebar the mouse
> > passes gets windowshaded.
> >
> > It will also not cut and paste when using the two-button "eraserhead" that
> > comes with the laptop (although it does fine when using an external
> > 3-button mouse).
> >
> hmmm two possibilities.  Sticky buttons on your mouse or needs a good
> clean.  how you do this on a laptop I don't know.  is you mouse a
> touchpad, stick or something else?

He said eraserhead, that means a little stick in the middle of the keyboard
such as most Thinkpads (IBM calls it trackpoint) and a handful of other
brands have.

Unfortunately I don't know how you would "clean" an eraserhead mouse; I
always assumed one of its advantages were that its inside mechanism was
well defended against grit.  But the click buttons aren't anywhere near
it, they are usually toward the wristpad area... so, have you spilled
anything of a fine-powder nature near your laptop lately?  I wonder if
turning it upside down and giving it a good shaking would help dislodge
anything?

> this only sounds familiar when you flick the two button mouse mouse to
> three buttons under windows and the mouse goes haywire.  however its
> probally a much simplier thing to solve.  load up XF86Config and make
> sure you have configured your mouse properly (does it work okay in a
> console?).  If its is a ps2 mouse you want your mouse attached straight
> to /dev/psaux.  If this doesn't work mail me and I see how I can help.

It's also possible he has only -almost- the right protocol selected.
First thing, get GPM working right, then you'll kow exactly what kind of
protocol it speaks;  then turn on GPM's repeater mode and point X at the
repeated version.  Then, it's possible to get GPM to "clean up" the
signal for you.

> > Lastly (for now), Enlightenment seems more choppy here than it did under
> > RedHat. Raster has written E in such a way that system events are timed
> > rather than just occurring. For instance, changing a desktop takes a set
> > amount of time on every machine, say, 1 second. For faster machines, the
> > process is smooth, while for resource-constrained machines, it may appear
> > to happen in 3 or 4 or 5 "steps." This machine, which is a PII/366 with
> > 192MB of RAM should smooth scroll, however, even with no load on the
> > machine (no windows open under X, etc), it takes 4 or 5 steps instead of
> > smooth scrolling. Netscape exhibits similar behavior when moving the
> > window or scrolling.
> >
> hmmmm don't know about this one.  I would recommend
> a) removing enlightenment (and config files) and reinstalling it
> b) if this doesn't work remove X and install the latest version. 3.3.5
> if I remember
> c) I agree your machine is high enough spec and although enlightenment
> does like those CPU cycles I think that is a little excessive. :)  does
> this problem happen with other window managers?  blackbox or wmaker?
> btw you haven't turned on transparent everything or anything silly like
> that?  Its because this feature is slow anyway, regardless of what spec
> your machine is.

He noted that Netscape exhibits the behavior also;  moving the window is
a Window Manager thing, so trying a different WM is at least a thought.
(Fvwm2 is an easy enough one to switch to, it's well tested at least.)
However, if you aren't on the latest X, you probably want to upgrade.

Without knowing his laptop model I can't really comment any further,
except to say Enlightenment works fine on my box (CT65555i video chipset,
eraserhead mouse).

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star@starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting@starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078