Re: Potato on laptops

Heather wrote:

> Actually, you could use MSwin to download raw debs that you want into
> a section of your MSwin space,  mount them under linux as type vfat,
> and use a file: URL in /etc/apt/sources.list

Before I discovered apt I used this technique.  Became quickly irrating
as there was always one .deb package you missed which involved reboot
the machine and going through the familar tedious process of getting the
deb packages.  If you do plan to do this I would recommend a copy of
LeechFTP (http://linux.fh-heilbronn.de/~debis/leechftp/) to get the
files.  I suggest LeechFTP not only because its a fine piece of software
but it also has a URL snatcher.  So you find the link to the needed deb
package, copy its link to the clipboard, leech picks this up and queues
it for downloading.  Supports threaded and resumed downloads so its a
god sent for modem users :)  The threading is useful so that you can
mindlessly select what deb files you want and forget about having to
manage your bandwidth, Leech will do this for you.

If you don't want to clog up your windows partition with deb files I
would suggest you get a copy of explore2fs
(http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/) which allows a Windows
Explorer type window with drag and drop facilities to access your linux
partitions with.  Although it warns you that write access to ext2
filesystem is buggy I have never had a problem with it.

> As a side thought, is anyone
> cutting potato CDs?  If not, I see a market for it.  Debian Under Construction.
> Make the djinni bottle yellow with the black diamond on it.  Or something.

I have looked around and cannot find anyone doing this.  Its actually
irrating as alot of my friends who don't have internet access (or at
least high bandwidth) can't get any of the benifits of potatoe.  Even if
there were ISO images I could get and burn a few CD's for friends that
would suffice.  Otherwise it looks like you have to download *all* of
the .deb files as you see them on your local debian ftp server and burn
them onto a CD by hand :(  Can anyone involved in producing debian media
assist us in this?  I wouldn't imagine this being a difficult thing to
arrange.

Alex

--
**       ((__))   Alexander "Jim diGriz" Clouter
   ||      ||                (remove those spaces to e-mail me)
   ~~~    ~~~        equip : 300Mhz Celeron Laptop running
  Cow during an                      Debian Linux
   Earthquake