TP 600e reboots w/any rescue disk

I've got a Thinkpad 600e that I'd like to install Slink on.  Everything I've
seen indicates that it should install fine with the tecra boot disks.  I've
tried tecra, tecra-safe, and the standard rescue disk, with various
combinations of "floppy=thinkpad", "floppy=nodma", and "mem=62m" (it has 64).

Every single time, it reads root.bin and gets about a dozen . 's into loading
Linux.  At that point, it suddenly reboots (and does that all over again if I
don't remove the floppy).

I haven't had any other problems with this laptop and, after trying a couple
new floppies from separate boxes and re-FTPing the disk image, I don't think
it's either of those.  I've never had problems with Debian/Slink on my
desktops or a Compaq laptop.  I use the floppy daily on NT, so I'm leaning
toward the idea that it's probing some hardware (floppy drive?) that causes a
reboot.

I didn't find any mention of this problem in the list archives or a couple
search engines except http://www.dgs.monash.edu.au/~greg/linux.html .  This
person seems to have the same problem but only with Debian.

I'm about out of ideas.  Has anyone seen this problem and found a solution?

Thanks,

Troy