UTC and localtime?

I have two debian systems which I battled over the recent changes from PDT
to PST.  The slink desktop took the change to the bios clock well and now
runs with the timezone set to allow changing as the time changes here in
California.  My potato laptop, a Fujitsu Lifebook L470, does not keep UTC
whatsoever and the bios gets reset to the localtime no matter how I change
it.

Could someone tell me how they managed time changes and what commands they
issued and in what sequence to change the hardware clock to UTC while
keeping localtime in the system?

Thanks.

--
Michael Perry