Debian/X on Toshiba

Hey all,

I'm new to the list, so please forgive if this topic has been covered. (I
didn't see anything in the archives.)

I recently upgraded my Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT from RedHat 6.1 to
potato. I run Enlightenment 0.16.3, which is what I was running under
RedHat as well. I have noted several problems:

1. The mouse has a tendency to "schitz out." I can move the mouse around
the screen, and about one time in three, it will jump to the upper right
corner, where it will continuously drop menus until I let go and let it go
and start moving it again. Any windows across whose titlebar the mouse
passes gets windowshaded.

It will also not cut and paste when using the two-button "eraserhead" that
comes with the laptop (although it does fine when using an external
3-button mouse).

Lastly (for now), Enlightenment seems more choppy here than it did under
RedHat. Raster has written E in such a way that system events are timed
rather than just occurring. For instance, changing a desktop takes a set
amount of time on every machine, say, 1 second. For faster machines, the
process is smooth, while for resource-constrained machines, it may appear
to happen in 3 or 4 or 5 "steps." This machine, which is a PII/366 with
192MB of RAM should smooth scroll, however, even with no load on the
machine (no windows open under X, etc), it takes 4 or 5 steps instead of
smooth scrolling. Netscape exhibits similar behavior when moving the
window or scrolling.

Anyone have any ideas on any of this?

Thanks,
--Brad