Re: Ethernet-Card for Laptop

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 02:56:53PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> >Only if you have a 10/100 switch that works fine.
>
> Which from my experience means more 100baseT networks.
>
> >On a 10/100 Hub all ports will drop to 10 MBit/s and the network will
> >be slow. Also all Windows PCs will probably have to be rebooted or
> >even manually switched to 10 MBit/s in the configuration.
>
> I have never seen a 10/100 hub.  If you want a 10baseT hub then surely you'd
> just buy one and not pay more for an expensive 100baseT hub only to use it as
> 10baseT!

That is not true with modern hubs. You can get a 10/100 hub that works like
this: It has a 10Mbps segment and a separate 100Mbps segment. The hub has
an internal 2-port switch that connects both segments.

I have a 3COM 10/100 PCMCIA ethernet card for my Dell Inspiron laptop. It
works fine at 10MBps or 100Mbps. It uses the 3C575 module driver.

> >??? Where from? A switch? Mixed 10/100 MBit networks are
> >expensive. Its much cheaper to buy a second network card and setup one
> >linuxbox as gateway, if linux is present, than to have a switch. And
> >if you have only 100 MBit cards you won´t have 10 MBit switch or
> >gateway ready.

I think that mixed 10/100 Hubs are not that expensive. They are usually
around $200 for 16 ports.

Greetings,

Alexis Maldonado
Engineering College