Re: potato security ;(

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 11:06:52AM -0500, Thomas Vogels wrote:
> As others have pointed out, this is not an ssh problem.   The
> configuration of the /etc/hosts.* file should allow you to telnet to
> your machine.  But then, you _should'nt_ use telnet.

> Try 'ssh -v' and let us know what ssh is unhappy about.
> Have you looked into /etc/hosts.equiv (bad) and /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv (good)?

Yes, you and the others are right. telnetd is the problem, not sshd.
I tried logging in from another machine, and had success using ssh, but the
same problem using telnet.

The thing is, "work.machine", the specific machine I've been testing with, doesn't
actually have ssh, that's why I've had to use telnet.  I could probably live
with the problem, but it's irksome not being able to define telnet access
when I want to.  What I really want is to be able to telnet in from my
housemate's Windoze machine at home, which may work via ssh (believe it or
not, Microsoft's telnet program does appear to set up an encrypted telnet
sessions!)

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with telnetd and hosts.allow?
I've got
     in.telnetd: ALL: allow
set, but still no luck.

By the way, in.telnetd does not seem to be actually running, but inetd is.
I think the latter calls up the former when needed, so I don't believe
this is the problem.