Re: Fixing the Master Boot Record

Your problem sounds like the BIOS program.  More than anything else.  Try
formatting a disk in a windows machine and making it bootable (format a:
/s)  then boot the laptop from it.  If this works then download the BIOS
update again and extract to the same disk.  Also check to see if the
extracted files create an Autoexec.bat that runs the BIOS update.

Check the site you got the file from also they often have manual update
procedures.

JJN
Network Administrator
The Colad Group, Inc.

"Bryan K. Walton" <walton@berbee.com> on 11/01/99 10:36:21 AM

cc:    (bcc: John J Neff/Colad Group)
Subject:  Fixing the Master Boot Record

Hi everybody,
     In trying to get Slink installed successfully on my laptop (IBM
Thinkpag 390E) I have learned that it is important to upgrade the Bios
first.  So, for the short term, I am taking some steps backwards.  I
downloaded a bios upgrade program on to a diskkette from IBM's website. To
perform the upgrade, I need to boot up the computer with this diskette in
the floppy drive.  When I do that however, the computer gives me an error
message saying that there is an invalid system disk in the floppy drive.
I am instructed to remove it and then hit any key to continue.  This
doesn't happen with any disk as I can still boot up from a boot floppy.  I
think this is due to my installing LILO on the MBR.  So I did an "fdisk
/mbr" to remove LILO and then attempted to perform the bios upgrade again.
I still get this error.  So I then downloaded the upgrade program on to
another diskette (in case the disk was the problem) and I still get
this message.  Can anyone tell me how can I fix my mbr so that I can
boot up into this program and upgrade my BIOS?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton

Bryan K. Walton
Network Operations Center Analyst