RE: Upgrading slink kernel -> 2.2.12 -no pcmcia -Reply

Ok, I just did this, and the pcmcia would not compile since I was compiling
with 2.2.12.  So I guess I need to get the package from potatoe.  However, I
was thinking of upgrading to potatoe, since that should provide the package
and keep all of the dependencies clean and correct.  Anyway, does anyone
know if there is a reason I should not go ahead and do this?

Thanks,

chris

On 21-Sep-99 CHRIS HOOVER wrote:
> I just upgraded my kernel on my laptop from the default 2.0.36 to 2.2.12.
> On the reboot I noticed it stating the pcmcia card services did not start
> since there are no pcmcia modules for 2.2.12.  How do I fix this?  I did
not
> see any pcmcia options in the kernel, so I'm assuming there must be
another
> program I need to recompile?

you need pcmcia-source.  Install the package, cd /usr/src and untar the
pcmcia.tar.gz you find.

cd /usr/src/linux (or your kernel dir)
make-kpkg modules_image (make-kpkg is in kernel-package)
cd ..
cd modules/pcmcia-<version>
debian/rules binary
cd ..
dpkg --install pcmcia-cs-<version>.deb ../pcmcia-modules-<version>.deb

Have fun, enjoy (-: