Re: the laptop proposal -- ideas, thoughts, and criticisms

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry schrieb:

> Why framebuffer?
- usually for every new graphic card there has to be a Linux
  X server developed. Framebuffer is kind of 'generic' graphic card
  support, at least if the card manufacturers follow
  the VESA VBE standard.
- framebuffer devices could use the hardware better, they avoid the
  current video memory mapping 'concept' (I'm not a hardware wizard,
  please correct me, if I'm not clear here)

> pentium ops are actually minimal compared to the -O2 output from egcc, plus the
> code is larger
Do we have kind of a benchmark, let's say for X build with options.
> the xserver in potato works with all supported Neomagic chips, a separate
> neomagic server is no longer needed
I checked http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/x11/ today.
'neomagic' isn't in the headlines. Where shall I look?

> the hardware detection is much larger than laptops and is being looked into
> slowly
You wrote in another mail: " Several groups are working on a generic
hardware detection interface -- once finished any linux can use
these to detect hardware."

I agree. We shouldn't make our own laptop hardware detection program.
But the projects I checked, didn't support certain laptop hardware
detection yet. For instance, I would like to have IrDA controller,
ACPI and VESA/VBE correctly detected. Of coarse the actual list
is longer. - Therefore my intension is, to have some laptop people
working together with a good hardware detection program.
Personally I prefer the Mandrake - Lothar - Project (but
this has to be researched). And an according Debian package.

Cheers
-werner-
--
Werner Heuser                       | There is no time,             /~~
LiLAC - Linux with Laptop Computers | ... to make war ...          /~~~