Suspend Mode

Hi all,

I bought an old 486-based laptop recently (Dell Latitude XP 450C), and
successfully installed Debian linux on it.  I'm a newbie to both laptops
and to Debian, but not to linux (I've been running linux since 1992).

I'm wondering about the "suspend" mode feature on this machine.  If I
close the lid while the machine is running, it seems to go into some
power-saving mode.  It stops responding to the network, etc.

That's great, except: the clock stops running!

I closed the lid last night, and when I opened it again this morning, the
system time was eight hours slow :(

So how do I fix this?  The hardware clock still keeps time, so it ought to
be a simple matter of running "hwclock --hwtosys" upon resume, no?
How do I set this up?

According to information on Dell's web site, when I close the lid, the
computer enters a "suspend mode" where it turns off CPU clock, disk motor,
monitor, etc.

The machine also has a "suspend to disk" mode, in which it is supposed to
dump its memory contents to a "special partition" on the disk, and then
shut off the power completely.  This way, one can resume exactly where one
left off.  I wiped and repartitioned the disk when I installed linux, so I
no longer have the special partition on it.  But this sounds like a nifty
feature.  Does it work with linux? Supposing it is large enough, can I set
up the machine to use the *swap* partition for "suspend to disk"?

-S