headphone control port on Sony VAIO

My Sony VAIO PCG-838 came with a little widget that plugs into the
headphone jack and into the small odd-looking data port next to it.
I can plug in headphones into the widget.

It has a volume dial, which is just a pot and obviously works without
software help, and it also has three buttons (labeled appropriately
for controlling a CD player).  Does anyone know how to access this
port?  I'd love to make those buttons usable in Linux, but I don't
know where to begin.