Re: network hopping tricks: an unsolicited plug for ifupdown-roaming

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:27:53AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Please note that the features of ifscout are in the process
> of being integrated into guessnet by the intrepid Enrico
> Zini.  The work is not yet complete; the guessnet release in
> sid (0.21) is broken and lacks some important features.
> However, once the work is done, guessnet will work like
> ifscout, only faster.  :)

I actually did get to ifupdown-roaming after trying guessnet.
I liked guessnet's configuration simplicity but it only seemed
to have only the one network detection method: ipaddr+macaddr.
He also had the detection to configuration mapping up in the
map section; I liked your method better (i.e. detection method
with the configuration and where possible implied by it).

I did see that you have a wireless detect mechanism, but
haven't used it (I have wireless option but use it rarely:
100baseT has so much less latency).

A wishlist item for you and/or Enrico: it would be nice to have
a macaddr-only detection mechanism, as coming up on the wrong
ip on a network can sometimes be disruptive to others (i.e.
someone else already using the same ip addr).  I'm not sure
what mechanism would underlie such a thing, tho.