Re: network hopping tricks: an unsolicited plug for ifupdown-roaming

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 02:38, Tony Godshall wrote:
> There's been a lot of discussion on this list about tools to
> detect which network a laptop is connected to and configure
> various things.  [...]  I've tried several, and I think I
> advocated whereami to someone at some point

whereami works but it is harder to configure than ifscout
and (more seriousl) is incompatible with ifupdown, the
standard network-interface management package.

> but it seems Thomas Hood's
> ifupdown-roaming is the best so far!  His solution has the
> configuration reside entirely in /etc/networks/interfaces.
> And in many instances needs almost no configuration at all.

Yes.

Please note that the features of ifscout are in the process
of being integrated into guessnet by the intrepid Enrico
Zini.  The work is not yet complete; the guessnet release in
sid (0.21) is broken and lacks some important features.
However, once the work is done, guessnet will work like
ifscout, only faster.  :)

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk>