pcmcia-cs upgrade on laptop

I am trying to install debian potato on an old laptop that has no
cd-rom. I do have a network card, but it appears that it needs the
newer version of pcmcia-cs, as it needs the support for the axnet-cs
module.

I have tried upgrading to the new version of pcmcia-cs, but it
requires debconf, I only have debconf-tiny. when I try to upgrade
debconf, it conflicts with whiptail.

Is there any way to get this new pcmcia-cs into the base
debian installation so I can continue with the whole install?
I need the network card to continue.

Thanks for the help.

Mark