Re: [INTL:tr] Turkish debconf translation update for gdm3

On 04/04/2016 03:50 AM, Laurent Bigonville wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 01:58:15 +0300 Mert Dirik <mertdirik@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

> Please find the attached Turkish translation update of gdm3 debconf
> messages.

I've a remarks concerning the proposed patch to the translation of gdm debconf questions.

-"Ekran yöneticisi, X Window Sistemi'ne grafik arayüz ile giriş yapmayı sağlar." +"Ekran yöneticisi, X Pencere Sistemi'ne grafik arayüz ile giriş yapmayı "
+"sağlar."

I'm not sure that translating "X Window" is a good idea as it's the name of technology. In French it's not translated for example.

What do you think?

Thanks for bringing up this tricky situation. I've changed the old translation because it is only partially translated. There are several alternatives:

1. treat "X Window System" as a proper noun and don't translate it at all (X Window System'a ...) 2. treat "X Window System" as a proper noun and translate it as a proper noun (X Pencere Sistemi'ne ...). this is the new translation submitted. 3. treat "X Window" part as a proper noun as you suggested and translate the rest like a common noun (X Window sistemine ...) 4. treat only "X" as a proper noun and translate the rest like a common noun (X pencere sistemine ...)

(3) doesn't feel right since after a quick check I've seen both "X" and "X Window System" are commonly used but not "_X Window_ system".

X(7) notes:
The X.Org Foundation requests that the following names be used when
       referring to this software:

                                   X Window System
                                    X Version 11
                             X Window System, Version 11
                                         X11

I'm not sure on how to proceed as well so I'll check with the others.