Re: fichero vs. archivo

El mar., 13 oct. 2020 13:06, Mario Blättermann <mario.blaettermann@gmail.com> escribió:
Hello,

in manpages-l10n, I've recently changed all occurrences of »fichero«
to »archivo«. It was simple using some sed commands and can be easily
reverted, if needed. The reason was that Marcos Fouces had changed it
in his first update of an existing man page translation. Don't bear
with me if this topic already has been discussed anywhere in the past.

Yes, it has been. They are synonyms. I would preferred you had run this through the list before changing all instances.

Shouldn't this be unified anyway...? Especially the UI translation of
GNU coreutils, where the current translations in manpages-l10n come
from, even shows such a different view, but with a clear lead for
»fichero«:

This is just biased. Some translators use more often one or the other. But readers understand both.

better. But you should decide whether the one or the other should be
used all around.

In language there is no "better". Spanish is right enough that multiple words can be used. Please also consider we have many localisations of Spanish due to the spread of the languages. For translations in Spanish we should aim for generic translations.

Would it be possible for you to revert the changes you did? I would prefer the translators working on this project to take the decision to unify (or not).

Best regards

Javier