Re: Future of manpages-es

Hello Alexis,
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 09:54:19PM +0200, Mario Blättermann wrote:
> Am Fr., 26. Juni 2020 um 11:46 Uhr schrieb Alexis <alexis@xt3.it>:
> > I just checked the disappearance of manpages-es and searching I found (and read) your email   https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-spanish/2020/06/msg00004.html   and   https://salsa.debian.org/manpages-l10n-team/manpages-l10n
> >
> > I have little personal time but I can't let manpages-es go away. Please tell me how I can help. I am a native Spanish speaker, and I read and write English acceptably well (I think). Please, to estimate the workload, indicate the number of people who have shown interest in helping with manpages-es.

> Totally, there are 660 plain Groff/Mdoc manpages to import into .po
> files; this will take a while anyway. And the use of Po4a makes sure
> that a translation never gets outdated: if it doesn't reach the
> threshold of 80% translated, the translated man page doesn't get
> built. And a translation which falls under this threshold (due to some
> upstream updates in the meantime) also doesn't get built anymore. In
> general, it is better to have a handful of man pages instead of
> hundreds of outdated stuff.

I want to add that on the other hand the files remain in the
repository (once imported) and keep being updated. So if one page falls
below 80% it's not lost: You can easily see what updates are needed
and apply them and then the page man page is being built again.

So even older translations (with quite a few outdated strings) might
be brought back into shape (and over 80%) rather quickly.

> po/es/common/min-100-occurences.po
>
> This is part of the compendium. It contains gettext messages which
> appear more than 100 times in our .po file collection. I've filled it
> with the content of the translation of help2man (maintained at GNU
> Translation Project) and with some recently imported translations (see
> below). And finally, some of the gettext messages are translated using
> Google Translate ;)

And this is one of the really nice features: You only need to
translate common strings once. They go into our compendium and are
added back into each individual man page. This eases the work
significantly. So whenever you finished a man page (and possibly had
it reviewed) add it to the compendium and you will see that (depending
on the upstream, of course) quite a few other man pages will get more
translated strings (i.e. those common to several man pages).

Also things like dates and boilerplate texts are done autoamtically,
taking away further burden.

Still, in the beginning it is a challenge. I suggest that you devise
priorities (which man pages are most important) and start working on
them, maybe the intro pages are a good idea.

And if you have questions: Mario wrote a good introduction in
CONTRIBUTING.md but please if something is unclear ask us and we'll
help you getting started.

Greetings

               Helge