Re: maint-guide

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:58:10AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 09:20:42PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > I also found «...» being used randomly and some XML tags are not matching
> > English text.  I fixed as much as I can.
>
> BTW Osamu, when trying to review your changes I've found that your commit
> was quite extensive (see [1]). Probably because you used a PO file editor and it
> is set to wrap up msgstrings when previously they were not.

Actually, I like PO files not to be wrapped.

Current build script automatically re-wrap PO files as po4a-updatepo
runs.  I can switch its behavior by providing --no-wrap to po4a-updatepo
via --msgmerge-opt. (I used to do this equivalent for debian-reference)

poedit program I use seems to have different folding behavior too.

> This makes it *very* *hard* to proof review your changest to ensure that they
> are OK. I need to use 'wdiff' instead of diff, and even so they are many
> changes due to wrapping which makes it nearly impossible to pin-point
> precisely what changes were introduced.

The only way to check difference sanely is to normalize PO with "msgcat
--no-wrap --no-location ..." and use wdiff like me or normalize PO like:
http://blog.mmassonnet.info/2010/09/cli-tool-to-review-po-files.html

Another quick way is to use "msgcat old.po new.po" and search for #-#-#-#-#

> FWIW, I use emacs to edit the PO files and it doesn't wrap files this way.

Some people want PO files wrapped per msgmerge default ....
And I think gettext tools folding default has been this way.
If you run "make sgml", you get these PO folded by gettext tool default.

> In addition, you have translated three msgids texts that I left (on purpose)
> untranslated to prevent issues with spell checkers (the sample Makefile for
> debian/rules). There was a comment in all of these explaining why they were
> kept untranslated.  Actually, I believe they should be mark as untranslatable
> in the original (English) file although I don't know how to achive this with
> po4a.

Sorry. "poedit" did not show thes comments nicely....

> Might I suggest that, instead of changing the PO files directly, next time,
> you forward your concerns and change proposals to the translation coordinator
> and the list?

When I saw error/warning messages from poedit stating "unmatched text
blah... " I tried to nail down issues and may be did too much.

Sorry for extra work.

Osamu