[Fwd: Should use "CD-ROM" instead of CDROM in templates]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Should use "CD-ROM" instead of CDROM in templates
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:19:38 +0200
From: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
To: Eddy Petrisor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com>
CC: debian-boot@lists.debian.org, debian-i18n@lists.debian.org

Package: cdrom-retriever
Severity: minor
Tags: d-i

Quoting Eddy Petrisor (eddy.petrisor@gmail.com):
Hello all,

While I was trying to reduce the number of unknown words with zinosat's scripts I found that the original files contained inconsistent ways of writing words:

CD-ROM/CDROM :

$ cat ro.po | perl -s ../../scripts/l10n/l10n-spellcheck/extract_msg.pl -msgid | grep -E "CD.?ROM" | wc -l
46
$ cat ro.po | perl -s ../../scripts/l10n/l10n-spellcheck/extract_msg.pl -msgid | grep -E "CD-ROM" | wc -l
43
$ cat ro.po | perl -s ../../scripts/l10n/l10n-spellcheck/extract_msg.pl -msgid | grep -E "CDROM" | wc -l
4

Well spotted...

Indeed, 3 of the 4 occurrences of "CDROM" are in cdrom-retriever, the
latter being a variable name in cdrom-checker, thus irrelevant.

This is obviously a consistency bug, hence reporting it to
cdrom-retriever (this mail is BCC'ed to the BTS).

I will fix it but will probably NOT unfuzzy translations as this will
force translators to check consistency in their own translations.

This is a good occasion for me to have fr alone at 100% for some time
as you all know this is my only goal in that business..:)

In D-I, "CD-ROM" is used only for the media. "Drive" or "CD-ROM drive"
should be used when talking about the hardware.

--
Regards,
EddyP