Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:12:27 +0200
From: Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org>
To: coors@ddtp.debian.org
Subject: thoughs about translation of the templates descriptions...

Hello

Maybe two years ago I start with the web page
http://auric.debian.org/debian_translation/ to translate the debconf
templates. Only some packages use this new debconf at this time and a
web page was ok.

Now we have >500, maybe 600 Packages with a debconf templates file and we
get some thousand templates in all Packages.

A lot of this templates are translated for de, fr, pr_BR and some other
languages. But some are outdated.

You get the point: a web page is not ok with this numbers.

Now I make some thoughts to add this debconf thing to the ddtp. I also
start some first tests and some coding of software. I attache a text for
the transaction and some server internal db handling. Maybe you have
some comments. Nico?

Now I have only one problem without a real solution:
  Some templates are translated but this translated descriptions are not
  in the debian package (yet). The translator have 'only' report a bug
  report in the debian bts.

  Maybe we can't avoid doubled translations, if the translator don't
  check the bts for translations... Maybe someone have a idea?

Comments?

Thanks for all your support...

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
XP ist NT mit "Extra Problems".  --- Felix von Leitner in dasr

Fim da mensagem repassada.

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org> * <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>
[...]

I start to add the descriptions of all debconf templates files to the
server of the ddts.

The debconf templates have some difference with the package
description. First one (binary) package have maybe some (and maybe a
lot of) descriptions in its templates file. Also a lot of template
descriptions are already translated to some languages.

This all make the work not easier.

In the debconf part I make this predefinitions:
  - The package name is like the source name from the pdesc part.
  - The template name is like the package name from the pdesc part.
  - The Section is inheriting from the binary package
  - The Priority is inheriting from the binary package
  - The server will store all translations from the template file in
    the part.db and ppart.db. But not the translation itself!
  - The server get the translation only from the ddtp translator. Only
    with this we can make bug tracking etc.

With this we can make thinks like this:

  GET locales/default_environment_locale <lang>
    -> you get this template

  SGET locales <lang>
    -> you get all templates from this package

  GET 2 <lang>
    -> you get two untranslated templates

The command REVIEW work in the normal way, like the GET command.

I should like to avoid that the translators get already translated
descriptions in the first weeks or months. We have 2/3 of all
templates translated to german. If the german translator make a GET
command, he will get the translated descriptions and work more like a
reviewer... Not nice.

Ok, I will make this solution:
  On the first update run, the translations from the templates files
  of the packages will import in the part.db, ppart.db _and_ in the
  db with the translated descriptions. The server will store a pseudo
  email address for the translator.

With this we have some translated descriptions and the reviewer can
start their work. With bug reports to this translations, the server
will remove the pseudo translator and will serach for a new (real)
translator for bug haunting.

Also the translator get untranslated descriptions in the first way,
and old translations wich bug reports...