[Fwd: D-I Manual - Support for PO file translation added]

------- Messaggio inoltrato -------
Da: Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl>
A: debian-i18n@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Oggetto: D-I Manual - Support for PO file translation added
Data: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:37:10 +0100
After a little less then a week of testing with the Russian translation,
support for PO files in the both official and daily build scripts seems
stable.

This means that other languages already using PO files for translation
(pt) are now welcome to commit their PO files to d-i's SVN repository.
Languages currently translating XML files are welcome to switch but are
advised to contact me before doing so, so I can help with conversion.

Dennis Stampfer (seppy) has already done preliminary work to support
translation stats for the manual, so these are expected to be available
shortly.
Davide Viti (zinosat) has done the same for spellchecking the manual.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMMITTING PO FILES
====================================
1. Add the PO files: 'svn add ./po/<lang>/'
2. Delete the XML files: 'svn del ./<lang>/'

Note
It is OK if you do 1. without doing 2. whilest working on a transition. If
both PO files and XML files are present in SVN, the daily build scripts
will ignore the PO files (and build from the XML files).
However, the period that both are present should be kept as short as
possible and you are responsible yourself for keeping both versions in
sync.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPDATING THE TRANSLATION
The POT files are updated automatically by my build scripts when a change
is made to the English translation; at the same time your PO files will
be updated. This means that normally you should not have to run the PO
scripts in ./scripts manually.

If you do run the scripts manually, you should _not_ commit changes in POT
files to SVN (e.g. because you want to run a test build, see below).
You can revert any changes in POT files by running './scripts/revert_pot'.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BUILDING A TRANSLATION
=======================================
Before you can run the buildone.sh script, you will have to generate XML
files from the PO files.
This is done by executing the following commands:
- ./scripts/merge_xml en
- ./scripts/update_pot
- ./scripts/update_po <lang>  (check for new fuzzies/untranslated!)
- ./scripts/create_xml <lang>
- ./scripts/revert_pot        (pot files are no longer needed)

Possibly not all commands are really needed (which depends on whether
there were updates to English files after the last daily build), but with
that series of commands you should always have good XML files.
The merge_xml and create_xml commands are the minimal that should be run.

TODO
====
- adjust filtering in daily built scripts so no errors are reported for
  languages using PO when there are none
- update translations_po.txt (the information above will be integrated in
  that document)
- add support for optional "extra" paragraphs for translations in certain
  places in the manual

Thanks to Nikolai, Dennis and Davide for their efforts in implementing PO
support.

Cheers,
FJP
--
Stefano Canepa <stefano.canepa@cristoforocolombo.net>
Cristoforo Colombo srl - Via Rio Torbido 40 - 16165 - Genova (GE)