Re: manpages-l10n: Looking for interested translators

Hello Emmanuel,
On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 01:57:40AM +0200, galas wrote:
> Let me express my appreciation for your initiative to appeal to the Debian
> Greek localisation community thus expanding the scope of translating such
> an important part of GNU/Linux as it is the manpages.

You are welcome, but the actual heavy lifting was done by Mario (in
CC), who will most certainly chime in with further details.

> So I would really be glad to be of help and participate in the project, in
> particular regarding Debian which is the GNU/Linux distribution which I am
> familiar with and with which I have some translation experience.

That is great. Please note, that manpages-l10n (and thus manpages-el)
extends beyond Debian, so the work you spend here is used by many
(other) distributions as well.

> Now regarding other people to appeal to I think that the Debian Greek
> localisation list which you have already cc this mail is the most suitable
> - and the one I am aware of. If someone else comes into my mind I will
> gladly forward your mail.

Thanks.

> So I am waiting for your instructions on how to get involved in this
> effort (I suppose guest access in the Salsa git repo and so on).

The first step (if you don't have any yet) is to get a Salsa account
for manpages-l10n. Then please clone the manpages-l10n git repository.

Next I would be happy if you could translate the single string:
%n translations missing until 80%

(Please place the "%n" at the right position for Greek)

Then please read "CONTRIBUTING.md" in the top level. I noticed some
slight errors with some paths, but you will get the main idea when
reading this. For the beginning, the sections

## Use consistent file headers

and

## Git workflow for reviewed .po files

are the most important ones.

If there are any questions, please ask them to Mario and myself.

Finally, have a look at the po files in po/el. It would be great if
you could review them (neither Mario nor myself speak Greek) and fix
all errors and complete all missing strings.

That's it for the start. More details will follow later or simply ask
if anything is unclear or you would like to know more details.

Thanks again for your support.

Greetings

          Helge

P.S. Please refrain from any changes outside of po/el unless you have
     discussed them with either Mario or myself. Thanks.