From: MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com>
To: Vassilis Grigoriadis <nezos_debian@myrealbox.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:04:03 +0100
Subject: Re: Re: Two Macedonias

On 2004-09-23 11:33:49 +0100 Vassilis Grigoriadis
<nezos_debian@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry to say so, but if
> Debian does not comply to the resolution of the foreign ministers of
> the EU
> than i will be in the unpleasent position to bring the subject to the
> EU
> court.

Matthew Garrett has already pointed out that this resolution does not
bind debian.

If we did "comply", could Debian be charged in court elsewhere,
because the constitutional name seems to be "Republic of Macedonia"?
As far as I know, the Greek province Macedonia is not a republic in
itself, and the Bulgarian province is officially named something else,
so their consitutional name should not confuse anyone.

The alternate view is that we should follow the ISO naming, but I'm
not sure if we already do or not for other states. I suspect decisions
like ISO, EU and so on were originally taken while the Republic of
Macedonia had other concerns, including Greece's blockade.

I suspect any EU court worth its salt would sort out EU member
Slovenija's use of "Republic of Macedonia" before hearing a
prosecution of a volunteer-run project, but I could be wrong. The
resolution quoted dates from before Slovenija joined: I wonder if that
was part of the motive for it?

Please include debian-project in your reply.

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk