Re: devscripts translation update?

Hello Mattia,
On Sun, May 03, 2020 at 04:18:19PM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> [ Dropping Chris from the recipients ]
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:20:04PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Hello Mattia,
> > On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 10:36:57AM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > > Could I have somebody refreshing the German transltion in devscripts?
> >
> > After the incidient last time[1] the previous translator Chris is no
> > longer available for the German translation.
>
> I see.  ACK.
>
> > It is marked as TODO and
> > if some translator takes the translation over, he will approach you.
>
> Very well.
>
> > I would recommend clarifying the handling of translators and one-shot
> > updates (non proof read) by third translators for maintained
> > langauges.
>
> Could you please clarify on this?  So can I be free to just find a
> random person and ask them to provide an updated German translation?
> Where and what should I clarify, and where?

You are free as a maintainer to work with whom you want.

From a translator's perspective it is important to be taken seriously.
So if fixes to translations are presented by third persons, they
should be forwarded to the translator for review and integration, but
*not* done by the maintainer without consultation (in isolation).

I've seen that myself - it is quite frustrating if some "random"
person opens a bug report or sends an email and suddenly the
translation gets changed, even though the translator is active. This
by no means implies any bad intention on either side, but it feels
like a hostile fork/act.

> For the only other translation we have, in French, it's all taken care
> by another devscripts contributor by himself (yadd) and I don't think he
> is involved with l10n-french@.

How the translator works should be left to him or her. If your French
users approach you about the qualitiy of the work, you should forward
their responses to the translator for handling.

I perfectly understood the importance of devscript and was happy that
Chris had taken care of the translation in a serious manner.
Unfortunately I don't have any replacement, I myself have too many
translation projects already at hand.

On debian-l10n-german the translation is marked as open[1]. If
someone reading this thread or reading [1] she/he might approach you.
If you have other sources for looking for translators, please go
ahead. debian-l10n-german is always open to review translations, so
you might inform Chris successor on this.

Greetings

            Helge

[1] https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po4a/de