Re: Tux Paint German

Hi Holger, here is the description for the mentioned strings

Hi all!

Many of you already know, but there are new translators here, so I think
this may be useful.

One nice feature of tuxpaint is that it  can raise or lower a font (for
the text and label tools) based on the translation you have made for
your language, so depending on how you translate some strings, the fonts
that are more compatible with your language will go to the top of the
font box.

This is accomplished via some special strings that tuxpaint processes in
order to classify fonts.
Below are the strings and the translation of the notes I toke when I
translated them for the Catalan language.

I will try to explain how it works, please correct me if I say something
wrong and don't hesitate to ask if you don't understand something.

It tries to render each char in the string and compare to the other
rendered chars in the same string, if each of the rendered
chars(glyphs?) are different, the test is passed and the font gets a
bonus, if some char is not rendered, or if two or more chars renders the
same glyph, then the test is not passed and the font don't gets the
bonus. Note that this may happen because they are very similar like 1lI
and the font renders the same image or because the font don't has the
glyphs for the chars but substitutes them with a square.

Many of these test sums 1 point except those beginning with <9> that
sums 9 points, a good place were putt chars specific to your language.

Note that tuxpaint performs too a quality test on the font that gets too
9 points, so I recommend the use of the <9>spare strings if you want
your language tests take precedence over the quality tests.

1 point
#. TODO: weight specification
#. Now we score fonts to ensure that the best ones will be placed at
#. the top of the list. The user will see them first. This sorting is
#. especially important for users who have scroll buttons disabled.
#. Translators should do whatever is needed to put crummy fonts last.
#. distinct uppercase and lowercase (e.g., 'o' vs. 'O')
#: ../dirwalk.c:191
msgid "oO"
msgstr "oO"

1 point
Commonly used: middot, apostroph -
# Símbols o lletres que es fan servir sovint.
# punt volat ·, apóstrof ', guionet -
#
#. common punctuation (e.g., '?', '!', '.', ',', etc.)
#: ../dirwalk.c:194
msgid ",.?!"
msgstr " ·'-,.?!"

1 point
Not so common and chars from neighbour languages
# Símbols o lletres que es poden arribar a fer servir.
# Euro €
# Obertura d'interrogació i exclamació, opcionals.
# Enya castellana ñ
# AE OE franceses
# Nota: la inclusió del punt volat aquí es fa perquè és un caracter poc
comú
# en els tipus de lletra i si només l'incoem amb els caracters comuns
abaix,
# és molt probable que hi hagi tipus de lletra que passin aquest test i
no el
# de caracters comuns.
# La inclusió de l'espai es fa per intentar caçar els tipus de lletra
que
# substitueixen els caracters que no tenen per espais.
#
#. uncommon punctuation (e.g., '@', '#', '*', etc.)
#: ../dirwalk.c:197
msgid "`\\%_@$~#{<(^&*"
msgstr " ·€¿¡ñæ`\\%_@$~#{<«ª^&*"

1 point
#. digits (e.g., '0', '1' and '7')
#: ../dirwalk.c:200
msgid "017"
msgstr "017"

1 point
#. distinct circle-like characters (e.g., 'O' (capital oh) vs.
'0' (zero))
#: ../dirwalk.c:203
msgid "O0"
msgstr "O0"

1 point
#. distinct line-like characters (e.g., 'l' (lowercase elle) vs.
'1' (one) vs. 'I' (capital aye))
#: ../dirwalk.c:206
msgid "1Il|"
msgstr "1Il|"

1 point  disabled: note the 2 repeated chars
# Aquests dos compten 1 punt.
# Els deshabilito perquè no calen.
#
#: ../dirwalk.c:210
msgid "<1>spare-1a"
msgstr "aa"

1 point disabled
#: ../dirwalk.c:211
msgid "<1>spare-1b"
msgstr "aa"

9 points: here I ensure that the fonts that have common chars for my
language will go to the top of the box
# Aquest dos compten 9 punts.
#: ../dirwalk.c:212
msgid "<9>spare-9a"
msgstr "eèéëcç"

9 points:
#: ../dirwalk.c:213
msgid "<9>spare-9b"
msgstr "EÉÈËCÇ"

There is also another string that will help the users of your language
to easy identify if a font is compatible: "Aa" If you translate it to
something like A(Char-in-your-language), it will show in the font
button.

Hope this helps
Pere