Re: Shadow's manpages translation

Hello Joey,
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:16:47AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Joey, I think this would be a good idea, if we went through the german
> > man pages and added a *prominent* note into all man pages which are
> > not a current translation. This would not only help users, who could,
> > if in doubt, refer to the english original, but also help translators
> > who could quickly figure out if a man page needs updating.
>
> It would even be better to update them right away. :)

Yes, of course, and patches are welcome. Seriously: It is a matter of
time. Going through all german manpages and marking them is one thing,
updating the translations is another (quite time consuming) issue.

> (also, it would not be a bad idea to go through all the pages
> and add a note as comment at the beginning the version of the
> original)

Probably as a file date? Or what do you suggest to take as version?
Ideally, upstream would track man page versions, but I've never seen
them.

> > Nicolas: How do you handle updates in french? Do you think it would be
> > feasible to set up some kind of database (e.g., hash values) of
> > upstream man pages, and whenever this hash values changes by a new
> > upload, some tool could determine that the translation become
> > outdated?
>
> Why do you need hash values?  Each upstream package has a version number
> already.

Yes, the package itself does. But sometimes the man page stays the
same for years, until a bug report comes in and asks for an update.
And some man pages are autogenerated, and hence the file date (if
preserved) is also not necessarily correct. Of course, having a proper
version, a history and proper diff-files would be the ideal world, but
except po4a catches on, I don't see somthing like that, right now.

Greetings

Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de
                       gpg signed mail preferred
    64bit GNU powered                  http://www.itp.uni-hannover.de/~kreutzm