Re: Shadow's manpages translation

Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Can you provide an update as a bug to the shadow package, or indicate if
> > the man page is so outdated that it should be dropped (if it will mislead
> > users), or just add an indication that German users can read the more
> > up-to-date English man page with "man -L C <...>".
>
> Joey, I think this would be a good idea, if we went through the german
> man pages and added a *prominent* note into all man pages which are
> not a current translation. This would not only help users, who could,
> if in doubt, refer to the english original, but also help translators
> who could quickly figure out if a man page needs updating.

It would even be better to update them right away. :)

(also, it would not be a bad idea to go through all the pages
and add a note as comment at the beginning the version of the
original)

> Nicolas: How do you handle updates in french? Do you think it would be
> feasible to set up some kind of database (e.g., hash values) of
> upstream man pages, and whenever this hash values changes by a new
> upload, some tool could determine that the translation become
> outdated?

Why do you need hash values?  Each upstream package has a version number
already.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect.