Synaptic manual

Hi !

As I'm a french speaker but confident with english, I would like to
participate in Debian and more precisely translations.
I went to this page : http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/fr.

My first question (but not the most important for now) is : why so
many .po file can't be downloaded (404 not found), e.g. the first one,
cups ?

So I downloaded the .po file for Synaptic (the first one which is the
documentation), which is only 16% translated, and modified it with
poedit. I would like to test the resulting .mo file to check my work,
but I can't find where to save it and under which name : I
tried /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/synaptic.mo (already present) ->
synaptic becomes all in english and its documentation stays in english

So my second question is : how would you do to test this .mo file ?

Thanks !