Re: Bug#875858: pkgsel: Offer to install/manage unattended-upgrades
- To: Wouter Verhelst <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Cyril Brulebois <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, Moritz Mühlenhoff <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Bug#875858: pkgsel: Offer to install/manage unattended-upgrades
- From: Raphael Hertzog <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 11:46:29 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20180627094629.GA7015@home.ouaza.com>
- Mail-followup-to: Raphael Hertzog <email@example.com>, Wouter Verhelst <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Cyril Brulebois <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Moritz Mühlenhoff <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20180626172540.GB10724@grep.be>
On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> I think it makes sense to explain in a bit more detail why that may not
> be a good idea:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> I think it really should get reviewed through the usual channel
> (debian-l10n-english@ if memory serves, but don't trust me on this), so
> that we avoid common errors.
I'm ccing email@example.com to have their review.
Here's the updated string that I'm now proposing based on the early
_Description: Updates management on this system:
Applying updates on a frequent basis is an important part of keeping the
By default, security updates are not automatically installed as security
advisories should be reviewed before installation of the updates using
standard package management tools.
Alternatively the unattended-upgrades package can be installed, it will
install security updates automatically. Note however that automatic
installation of updates may occasionally cause unexpected downtime of
services provided by this machine in the rare cases where the update is
not fully backwards compatible or when the security advisory requires the
administrator to perform some other manual operation.
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer
Support Debian LTS: https://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts.html
Learn to master Debian: https://debian-handbook.info/get/