Re: Proof read updated ejabberd debconf template

Neil Castelino wrote:
> Hello Justin, one more question, should I say something in the debcobf template
> instead of "(lowercase)" something like "your input if containing uppercase
> characters will be converted to lowercase"? What would be your suggestion?

Well, what the first draft says is
#  Please enter a host name for this Jabber server (lowercase).
and I commented
> (And couldn't it just quietly normalise the string to lowercase
> behind the scenes?)

in other words, instead of telling users to avoid uppercase, it could
just normalise the input on the assumption that hostnames are always
naturally case-insensitive without mentioning it.

I was thinking that perhaps you might drop the word "(lowercase)", but
I didn't think it mattered very much either way - after all, if people
are going to be typing in the name of an existing hostname, that'll be
lowercase already.

If in fact it's already normalising the string behind the scenes
(the same way as hostnames get normalised in ordinary DNS lookups)
then I don't think you need to say anything extra - it just makes me
slightly more in favour of dropping the word "(lowercase)".