Re: FAQ.html and MANUAL.html, was Re: fwd: Re: Re: Please

Hello Justin,

Justin B Rye schrieb am  9. Juni 2016 um 18:39

> > FUNCTION,FUNCTION,ALIAS,DESCRIPTION,DESCRIPTION,DESCRIPTION,DESCRIPTION
> > in main.c and menu.c,from w3mfunc-desc,,short 04.06.2016,short 08.06.2016,long 04.06.2016,long 08.06.2016

> [...]

> > CLOSE_TAB_MOUSE,,0,,Close tab at mouse pointer,,Close the tab the mouse points at

> "Close the tab the mouse is pointing at" would be more normal English,
> but that seems longwinded compared to the *_MOUSE functions below; to
> match those I would expect something like
>     Close tab at mouse pointer (for mouse action)

As I think that "for mouse action" is implicitly said, I would
renounce on an additional long description. With all the other *_MOUSE
functions, I assumed that the description is clear and the function
refers to some mouse action. Thus neither

  Close the tab the mouse points at

nor

  Close tab at mouse pointer (for mouse action)

need to remain in our set of descriptions.

Moreover, as Tatsuya leaves the number of characters/words to the
editors of the documentation or the translations, he obviously did not
even expect very short descriptions for a file like README.func, we
are free to take the decription that please us the most.

> [...]
> > LINK_N,,0,Go to the nth link,Go to the nth hyperlink,,

> Did we ever find out how to use this?

I thought I already did, but forgot it.

My present tests revealed that the number is expected as argument of
the function name, i.e. the command "LINK_N 3" makes w3m move to the
third link of the document. Default is N=1

> [...]
> > MOVE_DOWN,,0,,,Move the cursor down (with a half-screen scroll at the edge),Move cursor down (with a half-screen scroll at the screen edge)
> > MOVE_DOWN1,,0,Cursor down,"Cursor down. With edge touched, slide",Move the cursor down (with a one-line scroll at the screen's edge),Move cursor down (with a one-line scroll at the screen edge)
> > MOVE_LEFT,,0,,,Move cursor left (with a half-screen shift at the edge),Move cursor left (with a half-screen shift at the screen edge)
> > MOVE_LEFT1,,0,Cursor left,"Cursor left. With edge touched, slide",Move cursor left (with one column shift at the edge of the screen),Move cursor left (with one column shift at the screen edge)

> Or maybe "a one-column shift", but as long as RIGHT is consistent...

My point was whether the added "With edge touched, slide" was
OK. Apparently it is.

As suggested, I replaced "with a one column shift" with "with a
one-column shift"

> [...]
> > PIPE_BUF,,0,Pipe current buffer through shell command,Pipe buffer through shell command,,
> > PIPE_SHELL,,0,Execute shell command and display output,,,Execute shell command and display output in a new buffer
> > READ_SHELL,,0,Execute shell command,Execute shell command and display output,Execute shell command and display output,Execute shell command and display output in a new buffer

> It still takes me a long time to work out which of these three does
> what, but I can't think of any better way to explain them.  PIPE_BUF
> is for feeding web pages through rot13; PIPE_SHELL and READ_SHELL
> are two ways of getting the output of "df" that are distinguishable
> only by their status-lines.  And meanwhile EXEC_SHELL backgrounds
> w3m and shows you the "df" output in your terminal.  Or indeed lets
> you run w3m from inside your w3m session.

Running w3m with w3m backgrounded. A first step into another dimension
of amusement.

Thanks for Your help. I won't promise that I won't have any new ideas
for describing w3m functions. With the current set of descriptions,
I'm decided to update README.func and w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl.in.

Best regards
Markus

P.S.

I found a nice method to produce translations of these plain text
files (Where xgettext, the po4a-suite and the translate-toolkit seemed
to be no great help): I created a an additional table in my ods-file
with functions and decriptions: One column with s in every line, one
with references to the original string, one column with references to
the translation of the string, one column with g in every line. (Then
sorting of strings to be substituded is needed). Finally, I exported
this table as file.csv.

  cat english.txt | sed -f file.csv > translated.txt

produces the translated plain text files.