Re: FAQ.html and MANUAL.html, was Re: fwd: Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
> FUNCTION,FUNCTION,ALIAS,DESCRIPTION,DESCRIPTION,DESCRIPTION,DESCRIPTION
> in main.c and menu.c,from w3mfunc-desc,,short 04.06.2016,short 08.06.2016,long 04.06.2016,long 08.06.2016
[...]
> CLOSE_TAB_MOUSE,,0,,Close tab at mouse pointer,,Close the tab the mouse points at

"Close the tab the mouse is pointing at" would be more normal English,
but that seems longwinded compared to the *_MOUSE functions below; to
match those I would expect something like
	Close tab at mouse pointer (for mouse action)

[...]
> LINK_N,,0,Go to the nth link,Go to the nth hyperlink,,

Did we ever find out how to use this?

[...]
> MOVE_DOWN,,0,,,Move the cursor down (with a half-screen scroll at the edge),Move cursor down (with a half-screen scroll at the screen edge)
> MOVE_DOWN1,,0,Cursor down,"Cursor down. With edge touched, slide",Move the cursor down (with a one-line scroll at the screen's edge),Move cursor down (with a one-line scroll at the screen edge)
> MOVE_LEFT,,0,,,Move cursor left (with a half-screen shift at the edge),Move cursor left (with a half-screen shift at the screen edge)
> MOVE_LEFT1,,0,Cursor left,"Cursor left. With edge touched, slide",Move cursor left (with one column shift at the edge of the screen),Move cursor left (with one column shift at the screen edge)

Or maybe "a one-column shift", but as long as RIGHT is consistent...

[...]
> PIPE_BUF,,0,Pipe current buffer through shell command,Pipe buffer through shell command,,
> PIPE_SHELL,,0,Execute shell command and display output,,,Execute shell command and display output in a new buffer
> READ_SHELL,,0,Execute shell command,Execute shell command and display output,Execute shell command and display output,Execute shell command and display output in a new buffer

It still takes me a long time to work out which of these three does
what, but I can't think of any better way to explain them.  PIPE_BUF
is for feeding web pages through rot13; PIPE_SHELL and READ_SHELL are
two ways of getting the output of "df" that are distinguishable only
by their status-lines.  And meanwhile EXEC_SHELL backgrounds w3m and
shows you the "df" output in your terminal.  Or indeed lets you run
w3m from inside your w3m session.