Re: Review request for dbconfig-common with new packages

Hi Justin,

First of all, again a huge thanks for your input.

On 07-12-15 23:38, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Sorry, no patch attached yet.

NP.

> Would there be any point explicitly mentioning "or MariaDB" just once,
> like this?

Ooo, yeah, good catch, maybe also in the description?

> The DevRef recommendation is to phrase that more nounily - something
> like

I don't like the word dummy in this context. Most of the time dummy
packages can be removed again, that is not the case here. If we go for
dummy here, we could also use that word in the other cases (as the use
is very similar).

> Or we might be able to shorten that... maybe even to:

dbconfig-no-thanks <is a> dbconfig-common bypass... yes, I like that
better than the dummy. Or:
or use the word "block", as in ad-block?

>>  This package prevents the dbconfig-common framework from managing database for
>>  packages that require a working database and that rely on dbconfig-common to
>>  handle setup and maintenance. This package is intended for systems where the
>>  system administrator requires or desires full control of the database or where
>>  dbconfig-common makes the wrong choises. Typically this will leave the
>>  depending packages non-functional until the required actions are performed.
>
> That first sentence is a bit long and awkward; I think for a start it
> needs to be "managing ^a^ database".  But a slight reshuffle lets me
> compress it a bit.

Full ack, except for the ^a^. In some places I like the plural version
better.

> Typo: s/choises/choices/
>
> Add the word "manual"?
>
>    When a package normally relies on the dbconfig-common framework to set up
>    and maintain a database, installing this dummy package instead will prevent
>    dbconfig-common from managing a database. It is intended for systems where
>    the system administrator requires or desires full control of the database or
>    where dbconfig-common makes the wrong choices. Typically this will leave the
>    depending packages non-functional until the required manual actions are
>    performed.
>
> Or perhaps:
>
>    When a package relies on the dbconfig-common framework to set up and
>    maintain a database, installing dbconfig-no-thanks instead of one of the
>    dbconfig-<database> choices will prevent it from managing a database. This
>    is intended for systems where the system administrator desires or requires
>    full control of the database or where dbconfig-common makes bad choices.
>    Typically this will leave the depending packages non-functional until the
>    required manual actions are performed.

I like the second version better, but have small doubt regarding
dbconfig-<database>. First, elsewhere I believe I mention <database
type>, and second, is it clear in this context and with this notation
what readers should read here? Maybe: "... instead of one of the
database specific dbconfig packages ..."

>>  The ${pkg} package can be configured to use one of several database types.
>>  Below, you will be presented with the available choices.
>>  .
>>  It is possible that the package supports more database types than shown. In
>>  that case the corresponding dbconfig-<database type> packages are not installed
>>  so the options are removed for now. If you know that you want the package to use
>
> It took me a while to work out that this was saying:
>
>    If other database types are supported but not shown here, the reason for their
>    omission is that the corresponding dbconfig-<database type> packages are not
>    installed. If you know that you want the package to use [...]

... are supported by ${pkg} but not shown ...

> It seems odd to say "the required DB-type" when I've got a free
> choice.  Maybe this should be:
>
>    If other database types are supported but not shown here, the reason for their
>    omission is that the corresponding dbconfig-<database type> packages are not
>    installed. If you know that you want the package to use another supported
>    database type, your best option is to back out of the dbconfig-common questions
>    and opt out of dbconfig-common assistance for this package for now. Install
>    your preferred dbconfig-<database type> option from the list in the package
>    dependencies, and then "dpkg-reconfigure ${pkg}" to select it.

Paul
PS after the next round I will update what we have so far and attach it
to my next mail.