Re: Review package description for liferea (Bug #745842)

Sidicas . wrote:
>> This makes me wonder exactly how GNOME-specific it is, but >otherwise looks good.
>
> It's not GNOME specific at all.
> I think I'll go with:

(This of course sets me off mumbling about how it also works for
laptops, but that doesn't matter.)

>> - you might even
>> capitalise it as "LInux FEed REAder" to make the why-the-name hint
>> clearer (see footnote).
>
> Ya, as you mentioned it should build on kfreebsd so I really don't
> think emphasizing the "why-the-name" is particularly important. [...]

I created "http://wiki.debian.org/WhyTheName"; largely out of
recognition that this information often doesn't need to be in the
package description.

[...]
> Thanks for your feedback.
> My major concern at this point is whether or not liferea shows up if
> somebody does a search for "newsreader" and a search for "Feed
> reader".   I guess I'll put "feed reader/newsreader" in the
> description to take care of this?  Or is it better to do this with
> tags?
>
> I now have:
> "
> Liferea is a feed reader/newsreader that brings together all of the content from your

Users would be unwise to search for "newsreader", since the RSS
clients will be lost among all the antique NNTP clients in the
repositories (though Google seems to agree that they're more likely to
be looking for LOLcats than Kibo).  How about "feed reader/news
aggregator"?  Or merge them as "news feed aggregator/reader"?  Or...
wait, in fact "news feed" now gets fewer hits than (and is treated by
Wikipedia as a minor synonym for) "web feed".

> favorite web subscriptions into a GUI that's easy to organize and browse.

I'm having second thoughts about this phrasing where users organise
and browse the GUI (rather than the feeds)...

> Liferea uses a simple interface similar to a desktop mail/newsclient, and it has
> an embedded graphical browser.

This seems to be repeatedly introducing the same graphical interface.
But I'm losing track of whether my ideas are improvements, so I'll
offer two versions:

 Liferea is a web feed aggregator/reader that brings together all of the
 content from your favorite subscriptions.  It has an embedded graphical
 browser and a simple interface similar to a desktop mail/newsclient,
 making it easy to organize and browse feeds.

 Liferea is a web feed reader/news aggregator that brings together all of
 the content from your favorite subscriptions into a simple interface that
 makes it easy to organize and browse feeds.  Its GUI is similar to a
 desktop mail/newsclient, with an embedded graphical browser.

> It supports:
>     * aggregating feeds in all the major syndication formats (including
>       RSS/RDF, Atom, CDF, and more);
>     * synchronizing feeds across devices, with TinyTinyRSS and
>       TheOldReader support;
>     * downloading articles to read while offline;
PS:     downloading articles for reading offline;